Haumaru Housing Limited Partnership respects your privacy
Your privacy is important to Haumaru Housing Limited Partnership. We are committed to protecting the personal information we may collect from time to time.
By providing your personal information to us, you consent to our collection, storage, use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this policy.
We may change this policy from time to time so you should check periodically to make sure you are happy with any changes.
What information do we collect?
The personal information we collect will include your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, gender, date of birth and other personal information you knowingly choose to disclose, or authorise others to disclose to us for the purpose of applying for a social housing tenancy or as supplied to enable us to carry out our business.
Any personal information we collect about you will be dealt with in accordance with this policy, unless we tell you that it will be dealt with in a more limited way on a particular form or website.
How and why we collect information?
We only collect information we consider necessary for our business activities.
The information is provided to us by you, another person or organisation that you authorise to disclose information to us, or a party acting on your behalf for the purpose of:
- Considering and processing applications for a social housing tenancy either directly to us or via the Social Housing Register operated by the Ministry of Social Development;
- Assessing your suitability for a social housing tenancy including the ability to live independently, with or without support;
- Requests for access to a service ancillary to the primary business you have with us, including services associated with your wellbeing;
- Communication between us, including without limitation, by letter, telephone, e-mail, electronic means including via our website or social media, and the submission of forms and applications;
- Applying to us for employment;
- Meeting your obligations to us and our obligations to you.
What we do with the information we gather
We use the information to understand and service your needs as well as meet our obligations, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To identify you so that we do not release or use your information inappropriately;
- To communicate with you or your authorised representative about any dealings we are having, or may wish to have;
- To provide you with information about events and services;
- To carry out activities connected with the running of our business;
- To complete administrative transactions such as record keeping and the processing of payments;
- To assess any application you may make to us;
- To navigate you towards any social or wrap-around services that may be requested or required;
- To improve the services we provide to you;
- To contact you when we are doing research;
- To carry out functions associated with the performance of our business services such as induction or training, and to fulfil our obligations as an employer;
- Any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time.
We may share your information
Your personal information will not be sold, traded, rented or otherwise provided to others without your consent. However, to enable us to conduct our business for your benefit, it may be necessary for us to share your information from time to time with:
- Any person where the information is already in the public domain;
- A person or service provider engaged by Haumaru Housing Limited Partnership for the purpose of providing services to you, or on your behalf;
- Any third party where we are obliged by law to provide information;
- Any other party you have authorised us to provide your private information to;
- Any person dealing with a situation integral to your wellbeing in circumstances where you are not capable of providing the information yourself, including without limitation medical emergencies;
- Any agency assisting us with the investigation or prevention of criminal activity including fraud;
- Any agency assisting us in monitoring the safety and security of our social housing;
- Any agency providing information about you as part of our assessment of your suitability for employment, including without limitation the New Zealand Police;
- Other persons or organisations that we may notify you about from time to time.
What if you choose not to provide your personal information to us?
Providing your personal information will always be optional for you. However, some services may not be available to you if you choose not to provide it.
The consequences of failing or refusing to provide personal information might be:
- An inability to assess your application for any services that you are applying for, or deliver services including a tenancy agreement for a social housing tenancy;
- We may not be able to adequately respond to your correspondence, process payments or otherwise effectively administer our business and carry out our commercial obligations;
- Failure to provide information to you;
- Failure to meet the expectations we both have for the delivery of services including those services that may be integral to your wellbeing;
- We may not be able to consider your application for employment.
Email and other electronic communications
We are committed to full compliance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
You may have the option to subscribe to certain promotional and marketing email and/or text communications. By subscribing to our email and/or text communications, or otherwise providing us with your email address and/or mobile number, you consent to receiving emails and/or texts (as the case may be) which promote and market our products and services, or the products and services of others, from time to time.
You can opt out of those communications at any stage by utilising the corresponding "unsubscribe" facility. Once you have unsubscribed from our email or text communications, we will remove you from the corresponding marketing list as soon as is reasonably practicable.
Security and accuracy
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to avoid unauthorised access, modification or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and organisational procedures to safeguard and secure the private information we collect. However, we accept no responsibility (to the extent permitted by law) for any loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, alteration or destruction of personal information which you submit to us, or which you submit to any third parties.
We take all reasonable steps necessary to ensure that the information we record is accurate.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You may obtain confirmation from us as to whether or not we hold personal information about you. You may request details of the personal information we hold about you and request that any inaccurate information is removed or corrected, subject to any exceptions set out in the Privacy Act. You can make changes to your personal information by contacting us using the details provided below -
Phone 0800 430 101
Post to PO BOX 8475, Symonds St, Auckland 1150
We will respond to you as soon as practicable following receipt of such request, but will not provide you with information unless we can establish evidence of identity and entitlement, and we may charge a fee to collate and provide the information requested.
How do you make a complaint?
We take your concerns seriously. If you have any concerns about privacy or the use or collection of your personal information by Haumaru Housing Limited Partnership please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words ‘FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE PRIVACY OFFICER’ or call us on 0800 430 101.
We will respond as quickly as possible (our target response time is 30 days) and handle all complaints in a way that is fair and consistent. However, if you remain dissatisfied, you can also make a formal complaint with the regulator responsible for privacy in New Zealand:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
Complaints may be made:
Phone: 0800 803 909
Fax: +64 (4) 474 7595
Mail: Office of the Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10094, Wellington 6143
How long do we hold personal information?
Personal information is held amongst our current or archived records for as long as it is administratively necessary to do so, or for as long as prescribed by statute including the Public Records Act 2005.
It may become necessary for us to update the terms of this policy. Your continuing relationship with us following any updates constitutes acceptance of this policy as amended. We recommend that you check back from time to time to make sure you are aware of any updates. If you do not agree to any updated terms from time to time, you must immediately cease using any of our services.